Thursday, May 9, 2013

Overindulgent with Chalk

So everyday I use a chalkboard extensively. I like to draw and it's always been a dormant desire of mine to be in a situation where I actually needed to use one. 
So now, I'm an elementary English teacher- teaching kids who don't speak English- in Japan- and the only tools I have are repetition and visual stimulus. 


None of those kids would have ever understood the phrase, "I wish to ride a dinosaur" without the aesthetic aid of a cowboy on a triceratops. 

You could say I've been a little over-indulgent with the chalking of the board. 

Maybe too over-indulgent...

You see, with the exception of my gigs with Souled Out and other jazz bands I've never consistently had to wear dress pants. And dress pants and chalk don't really like each other. There's nothing more contrasting then a stroke of pink chalk dust you unknowingly brushed off on your solid black slacks. 

Ok so who cares, right? Surely this post isn't about how Mason uses chalk now. 

No. There's more. 

The whole point I'm trying to make is this: IF you're wearing slacks 
AND you're a brand new foreign English teacher trying to not look like an idiot
AND you've been anywhere remotely close to a chalkboard... 

...Just be cautious about picking wedgies. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment