Monday, January 6, 2014

Writing English at Gochu Junior High

As always, I'm late posting something I drafted a month ago. My kids have done a lot of practice with writing English this year. My ninth graders wrote to my family during their first semester, my seventh graders made greeting cards, and numerous students wrote to Santa this Christmas season. My eighth graders were required to participate for class credit. I gave them an outline to follow as you will see by their similarities.

I decided to also show you a ninth grader's letter (the first depicted here). The ninth grade class was not given any outline. They were told they could participate voluntarily as long as they had it turned in to my desk by a certain date. Finally, I helped one of my special education classes write a few sentences as well. I believe that 250 letters were sent to Santa. A fine representation of Go-chu Junior High.

I am immensely grateful to the elves of Santa Claus Museum of Indiana, USA. Their speedy responses to my inquiries and requests were remarkable. Santa's letters in response to the students arrived before Christmas, but the kids were already on break. They will be receiving them first thing tomorrow upon their return to school.

I hope you enjoy reading these letters. We hope you had a Merry Christmas and send our best wishes for the New Year!
Mason is working on compiling a blog for our families holiday visit to Japan. Stay tuned.


9th graders have entrance exams that determine which high school they get into, which in turn determines what college they go to, and what company will hire them down the road. It's a stressful time for them.  
This student is feeling guilty for slacking off in club. table tennis = ping pong


Divorce is becoming more common in Japan. It is still in the early stages of development in regards to the law. Only one parent is given custody of the children and that parent makes the decision of how often the other parent gets to see the kids, if at all. I don't know this girl's situation exactly, but she surprised me by choosing to share this information with me. This is a very sensitive topic.

This guy is one of my "genki" boys. (aka class clown). He cracks me up.




Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!





No comments:

Post a Comment