Wednesday, March 27, 2013

15 days and counting...

Hello there! (this is Carmon speaking)

Two weeks from now we will be spending our last full day in America, scarfing down all foods we will miss and dreading our final goodbyes. We have been very busy traveling to and from Tulsa to see his parents, and we recently took a quick trip down to Louisiana to say goodbye to my grandparents. Whew! The emotions are strong.

While we were in Louisiana we got to Skype with the couple I told you about in our "mansions" blog. Ben and Erica Berry have been living in the same apartment that we will be moving in to. Their time in Japan has come to a close and we will be filling their shoes, so to speak, as we not only move into their apartment, but also to the schools they have been teaching at.

It was so relieving to speak with them about what our positions will be like at our designated schools. As an elementary teacher, Mason's job is to help make the kids comfortable with hearing a foreign language and getting them excited to learn! By the time they get to junior high (where I will be teaching), they will know a few phrases and be prepared to start learning how to write and speak in English. Whew, I can do that!!

Mason doesn't know it yet, but he will be so good at working with the elementary kids. He is comfortable with being silly and is very creative. He will do a great job coming up with educational activities that are engaging.

As for me, I'm not so great at the silly. I like to have fun with the kids, but it takes me a while to get loose and goofy with the little ones. I will be much more comfortable in the junior high setting. I'll spend a lot of my time following along with the students in their text books, and planning activities that help them apply what they are learning. Ben and Erica made us feel much better about things and gave us a new confidence in our ability to teach well.

As for now, this week has many more goodbyes in store. Thursday night our college group at church will take a moment to pray for us, Sunday the church body will give us a send off and I will see my step-family for probably the last time, and there are a few dates in between where we will be saying "ta-ta" to friends/family.

Please be praying for our travels, the people we are going to meet, and our families.

No comments:

Post a Comment