Sunday, June 30, 2013

Let's Catch Up...

Carmon here! 
As any friends, family, or other interested parties may have noticed, Mason and I haven't blogged in a while. We aren't doing as good of a job at it as we had intended. Since our awesome trip to Tokyo, Mason and I have had multiple experiences. I haven't blogged yet, because I've had a pretty difficult time getting settled in here. The culture stress is FAR more real than I can explain, and it creeps up on you like the charlie horse cramp that kills your right calf. However, I'm in a really good place right now. I'm feeling a confidence that I haven't found until recently, and I'm feeling really good about where we are now.

A few of the highlights: 

  • June 6th, Mason's teachers were SO sweet to hook him up with the local jazz club and get him behind a drum set for the first time since we've left America. It was great to watch him from the crowd. Usually, he doesn't smile too often behind a set due to his intense concentration, but that night he couldn't hold it back. He was SO happy to be drumming again. The folks that ran the club asked him to return on the 4th of July. I think he is planning to go. 

  • Also on the 6th, Interactive Forum practice began for my junior high students. This is an English conversation competition. Two ninth graders and two eighth graders are chosen from each school to compete in English conversation. The challenge is to stay on a given topic for five minutes, and to do their best at keeping a natural conversation. My kids are great!!! I've been having so much fun interacting personally with them and the head English teacher to get them prepared. I have gone in on two Saturday mornings to spend extra time working with them. Not only am I enjoying this, but it's also showing my teachers how much I care about the success of the students. All around, this has been an awesome experience. The competition is July 11th. I'll keep you posted on how my kids do! 

  • June 28-29th, Mason took me on a surprise trip to Nikko. A town located on Japan's "romantic road" and known for its temples and beautiful fall colors. The original "See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil" monkey carvings are here at the Toshogu Shrine. Did you know that they are actually part of a set of monkey carvings that tell the story of mans' life cycle? It had me singing "Circle of Life" for the rest of the weekend. Anyway, Mason picked out the sweetest inn. It was personal, homey, and named Turtle Inn for goodness sake. Totally a fit for his anniversary gift he wrote for me in May. 





Check out our instagram for more pics!

Other things to share: 
  • I had my second onsen experience, but this time I was the one encouraging it. LOL. It wasn't awkward at all. I was in much need of a good massage, and hot bath. Why not do it with 6 other AETs as well?! 
  • Our health is good. I don't sneeze as much here, so I haven't been taking any antihistamines at all!! WOOHOO! On the other hand, my eczema has been a nightmare. At first, I thought it was just the stress and the new diet, but I think it is a combination of these things and the awful humidity that comes with Japan. Its unreal. I've never experienced humidity like this. Louisiana doesn't even get this bad. I tried an acupuncturist at first to avoid having to use steroids. I finally gave in and Holly took me to a dermatologist to get some a topical medication. It has helped dramatically, but this is still quite a fight. 
  • I recently tried natto. Natto is fermented soy beans that can only be described as having the consistency of spider webs and an incredible odor. Mito is famous for their natto and EVERYONE asks the foreigners living here if they've tried it and if not say, "Please try natto." The other AETs had me so nervous about it. Most despise it. Most foreigners in general, so they say, cannot stand to eat it. Those who like it, seem to be the few that have been around for a long while. Anyway, long story short, I didn't love it, but it wasn't as bad as everyone had made it out to be. I could stand to eat it and my teachers were amazed. 
    NANDE!?!?
    They make a lot of comments about me being "so Japanese." Which I take to heart. They are very proud of their culture, to say that I'm anything similar to it is a great compliment, I think. Mori Sensei (the school nurse), Kominami-san (school secretary), and Kyoto Sensei (the viceprincipal) are my typical lunch buddies. We were all together that day and it was so funny to have them watch me eat that sticky stuff and coach me on how to keep the strings of soy from coming out of my mouth. Ewww. 
  • since I mentioned teachers, I recently had dinner with one of my English teachers. I was super nervous about it, but it turned out to be AWESOME. She is young and so funny. We have a lot of fun together in class and it turns out, also at dinner. It encouraged me so much to have a teacher ask me to hang out and show me that establishing true friendships is underway. (I was also FINALLY asked to go to an enkai after being described as "a good fit in the group" and "a true member". Finally, a tangible level of acceptance. I can't explain how great that felt.)
  • Mason has been attending Japanese language classes. He has also begun a small devotion with a couple guys.  I am enrolled in Japanese classes too, but my teacher has been sick. Please pray for her health.  
  • God is opening doors. My teachers know my beliefs, and a couple of them bring it up every now and then. I'm hoping more conversations develop. Mason has also had similar situations, had the opportunity to help a homeless individual, and a student opened up to him about some very spiritual and personal things that we can only pray about. PLEASE continue to have these things in your prayers. Our relationships with teachers and other Japanese people in our community are finally beginning to take shape. I have recently been filled with such joy and hope in what I can see God doing. Please pray that we continue to be encouraged, but also be disciplined. It is easy to get distracted by the things that are exciting and the things that make living here difficult. Our purpose and hope is to serve the kingdom of God, and we welcome all prayers to strengthen that resolve. 
EWWW!



No comments:

Post a Comment