Saturday, August 10, 2013

Summer thus far...



Summer began July 23rd. My junior high students did not seem as thrilled as I had expected, but the teachers were relieved to have a change in pace for a few weeks. Summer vacation in Japan isn't at all like summer in the U.S. The teachers still work Monday through Saturday with an exception of 6 days they're given to use as holiday (unless they choose to take nenkyu). The students come to school for half of the day to participate in club activities, and are expected to study when they are not at school. Even so, I think that they still prefer summer over the regular school season.

End of the semester enkai. Nishiwaki Sensei and Otake Sensei.
Since summer began, us AETs have had five days of training at Souken. The training was fun and interesting. A couple days were spent with lectures that have both humbled me and inspired me. I have a new attitude and understanding towards my students. The other days of training were spent outside of Souken to experience Japan culture and get to know each other better. This month, we will make Japanese pottery and also work an English summer camp. I'm looking forward to it.

The few days I have been at school have been a mix of fun and boring, depending on the hour. None of the teachers have anything for me to work on right now, so there are a number of hours where I have nothing to do with my time. I've been spending my time studying the Japanese language and the Japanese drivers license test.

Since we don't have so much work going on at school, a bunch of us teachers were able to spend the day watching our softball team play in the championship games. Our girls kicked butt! They lost the final game, but they played well.

It was cool to be with the teachers in a setting outside of the school without the formality of an enkai. We were cheering for our team and laughing together. (And they laughed at me as I gawked at the big ugly bugs).

Me: "OH MY GOSH! Is that dangerous?"  Him: "No. Beautiful."
(NANI?!!!!!!!!!!)

On other occasions, I've been able to have fresh conversations with teachers that have never spoken to me before. My conversations with the English teachers that I have already befriended have grown more personal and interesting as well. So all in all, summer at school has been fun. Nishiwaki Sensei approached me last week and asked me to help her improve her English. So we took a college English textbook of hers, found an air-conditioned room, and studied for a couple hours. Then we spent the last hour chatting. It was refreshing. I really feel like I'm forming a friendship with her. I hope she feels that way too. I worry that what I see as friendship with my Japanese colleagues is really Japanese hospitality at its best. We will see in time.

Nishiwaki Sensei & I getting that ¥1000 McDonald Burgers
(two Saturdays in a row in July)

After moving to Japan, I had a tough time getting adjusted. In the first few weeks, it didn't seem like the culture shock was ever going to set in. The truth is that it never did. It was culture stress that got me after about a month in. God taught me some wonderful things during that time. I learned about how much weight I put in how others perceive me and that weight caused me to be hesitant in pronouncing my beliefs. God spoke to me about how ministry isn't easy and that it is foolish for me to wallow when my purpose isn't to be liked or 100% accepted, but to share the Gospel. It sounds harsh, but it was sweet to me. It gave me release from all the pressure I was feeling and it gave me hope and faith in God to perform His good works.

Thankfully, Nishiwaki Sensei, Konno Sensei, Mori Sensei, Kominami Sensei, Otake Sensei and Kyoto Sensei have all given me confidence that I can establish some level of relationships among my teachers. And, Interactive Forum showed me how I can connect with my students. This summer, Nishiwaki Sensei told me that a student said the following to her: "Carmon Sensei came here and now my grade is getting better. She practices with me during cleaning time." This was the most encouraging news. To hear that my casual conversations with a student in the hallway has motivated him to practice English and even tell the head English teacher of the school that he grants me the credit for his improved grade.. Wow. It's a good feeling.

 (Left) Mori Sensei (Right) Kyoto Sensei, the vice principle

Overall, I don't know how to truly explain how I have been feeling recently. Everyone was so right in saying that the first three months are the toughest to get through. I was sure that I wouldn't make it here and had severe doubts that I could stay more than a year. But now I have a love for Japan, a love for my teachers and students, and a hope for what connections God can create between us. I have a warmth and contentment resting within my chest. It's so difficult to describe. I am truly happy, and I know it is only by the grace of God. Please continue to pray for the people of Japan. I believe God has so much for them, and I hope that Mason and I can be purposefully minded while we're here.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Carmon! Loved hearing about the journey so far. I love your description of your experience from the first three months to now. It's very growing!

    ReplyDelete