Sunday, January 27, 2013

Red Oxx Sunchaser: an in-depth review.

NOTE: If you aren't a bag enthusiast like myself then odds are you won't have the strength to make it through this rather lengthy review about a bag. My advice, read it anyway and become a bag enthusiast. It'll only serve you well in the long run.

For those of you who've never been in a room with me longer than 60 seconds, it's possible you might be unaware of my love for travel gear, specifically bags, luggage and backpacks. You see, the thing is, bags aren't just bags. Bags are potential. Potential to travel, potential to explore, potential to see things and do things and be things that otherwise wouldn't ever come to pass if you don't have the right bag. The association between the gear I use and the places I go are so enmeshed that I can't imagine a trip without thinking about what I'll pack my crap in.

Nobody would even care about this photo if it weren't for my backpack. 

That being said, I'm always searching for new outlets and people to air my praise of the gear I use to.  

Wa-La!
I have a blog. 
So tonight's post is a review of one (of the many) Red Oxx bags I'm proudly an owner of. This particular model is really an all-purpose duffel bag. Like all Red Oxx gear, it's extremely over-built and includes the companies "No-bull" lifetime warranty, which means if anything ever happens to it, send it in and they'll either repair it, or send you a new one. Let me take a moment to reiterate the build quality of their products. Seriously, the bags are made of some of the toughest material you can find. Heavy-duty 1050d Ballistic Nylon, double and triple stitching at stress points and one heck of a shoulder strap. This is the norm at Red Oxx. They even tell you to include the bag in your will!
Oh, and did I mention they're based out of Billings, Montana. 
U-S-A!
Let's start off looking at the shoulder strap. They call it, "the Claw." All Red Oxx bags are soft-sided and wheel-less, which means you're either carrying it via handle or throwing it over your shoulder. I've seen some great bags that are ruined because of their crappy shoulder strap. Some slide off, some twist and turn, some dig in to your skin and others are just flat out flimsy and rip. None of these are a problem with the Claw. 


It comes standard with all their bags or you can buy it separately for $20. Whether or not you ever get one of their bags, the claw is a hardcore companion to most luggage in need of a replacement strap. If I ever need to use some other bag (a very rare and unfortunate occasion), I always make sure to switch out the strap with the claw.
Now, I would go so far to say that this is the best shoulder strap you can get but I've heard of equally good things about the "Absolute Shoulder Strap" from Tom Bihn. I haven't had a chance to test it out but I've got one headed my way. So expect to see a review of some Tom Bihn gear soon.
Swivel-swing loaded clasps that make attaching/detaching quick and easy. 


The Claws attach securely to two stainless steel D rings. 

The first thing to malfunction on any bag is almost always the zippers. Is there anything more frustrating than to be somewhere with your suitcase or backpack and have the zippers get stuck, or worse, break!?! No. Which is why Red Oxx gear sport #10 YKK zippers. These things are big. For some, they might be a little too big. What's great about them though is their anti-slip locking mecdhanism. If you have a bag filled to the brim, most zippers will begin to "creep" open as a result of over stuffing. With these zippers, you literally have to give a good pull to release the lock. It's a small but genius fix that you didn't even know you needed. 

Attached to the zippers are "monkey knots,"
which make opening and closing a synch. 
The front side contains two pockets to do with as you wish- one larger than the other. I've managed to fit a weekends supply of toiletries AND my wife's makeup bag in the larger pouch. I'll leave the top zipped open on the smaller one and it's a perfect fit for my water canteen to slide in and out of.


At the gig.


The back side doubles as either a third, long awkward pouch, or open both the top and bottom zippers and slide the handle of some rolling luggage through to keep it steady on.




One of my favorite features on the bag is its side grab loops. You wouldn't think much of it, but when you're reaching for it in an overhead bin or pulling it out from under a seat, it's just... Awesome.





"Dodger"
The main handle on top of the bag is composed of two straps that snap together. It's got little padding, and honestly, it's the only real complaint I have with Redoxx gear. Here's the thing, it works, yes, but it's kind of a drag to have to snap together the handle every time you open and close your bag. Most of the time I just leave it flapping around as I have it "clawed" to my shoulder. This isn't a huge deal, but it's worth stating.

At least it looks good.

The main compartment of the bag is pretty straightforward. The bottom is padded but the sides aren't, which means unless you have this thing packed, it won't keep it's shape. This can be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on what you want.




Getting into the bag is easy as ever. Two zippers run parallel along the top of the bag which allows you to roll back the top and access/pack you belongings with a wide opening.



Closed, the bag can be further saftied by using their cross-snap-pull through thingies (?).  The Sun Chaser has two small D-rings placed by the end zippers in case you want to lock them in place. Didn't get a great pic of this feature though.








So far, I've used it as a gym bag, for weekend get-away's, at my gigs and, as you noticed, as a comfy lil' bed for puppies. As always, the folks at Red Oxx have made a quality product that'll likely outlast you.

"Ok, so what's the catch?"

Easily put, the bags are expensive. Like, really expensive.
This one will cost you $155 plus shipping.

But remember, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. These bags are made to last, and should you choose to pony up the money you'll be thankful years down the road. Why spend $50 on a bag that will only survive the winter? My advice, if you're in the market for some kind of luggage, especially if you travel regularly, whether duffel, backpack, suitcase or messenger bag, stop by Redoxx' website and take a look around.

The Sun Chaser

Pro's
*extremely overbuilt and made to last
*large top entry flap back opening
*padded bottom protection
*side grab loops
*looks good and available in 12 colors

Con's
*pricey
*top handle can be annoying
*limited organization



3 comments:

  1. voi·là
    \vwä-ˈlä\
    interjection
    —used when something is being presented or shown to someone
    Full Definition

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The data you have posted is exceptionally valuable. The locales you have alluded was great. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing..
    Aiding You Be successful In The Globe Of Carpet Cleaning

    ReplyDelete